21st Century Farmer’s Market?

Last weekend, while doing some marketing research, I stumbled across an author named Seth Harwood. Seth has recently gotten a novel published, called “Jack Wakes Up.”
I have not read Seth’s book yet, but after reading a bit about Seth, I was introduced to a book publishing concept that I had not heard of – “serialized podcasted books.” It seems that Seth was a fan of audiobooks, and learning from a few authors who had done this before, Seth recorded his book in the form of podcast “episodes.”
A few clicks later in my research, I was directed to a site called PodioBooks.com “PodioBooks” is the term coined to mean POD-cast audIO Books.
Here’s the basic model; an author writes a book, then records “episodes” in the form of a podcast MP3 file. When the episode is finished, it is uploaded to podiobooks.com. From there, listeners can browse from available episodes and download them to listen to at their leisure – for FREE. Users can subscribe to a book, and then set the frequency of the downloads which can happen automatically. Once a day, or once a week – whatever works for the user.
Not all books on the site are completed works. This is indicated to the user while browsing. If the author has finished recording all episodes, then the work is labeled finished. If the author has not yet recorded the entire work, the book is labeled as such.
I mentioned that all of this content if free – but users can donate money for the books they consume, and are encouraged – not forced – to do so. If a user listens to a book and then donates money, they are asked to identify the book, as the author gets 75% of the donation. The remaining 25% goes to the website to help defer costs.
It seems that Seth and others have built a fan base by giving away free podiobooks, which in some cases helps the author get a tradional publishing contract.
After reading about this model, it reminded me of an old-fashiond Farmer’s Market. The farmers work hard to grow their produce, then bring them to market to sell to consumers. They may even give away free samples to the crowd. In this case, the author writes a book, records the episodes, and then brings it to market at PodioBooks.com. Selling to the consumers directly, and perhaps giving away free samples to entice people to buy (or donate) and hopefully generating a fan base for future works.
Nifty idea. I like it. I plan to record my book and submit it to podiobooks.com…


4 Responses to “21st Century Farmer’s Market?”

  1. Seth Says:


    Great plan! Go for it and keep me posted on how things go. I’m always around if you have any questions on how to put it all together.

    All best and good luck!


    PS: for further info on Podiobooks and Podcast Novels, have a look at his article in the Boston Globe this one from the SF Chronicle (http://sfgate.com/ZCYR) and this video on how I do it:

    More info is also available at http://authorbootcamp.com

    • Donnie Light Says:

      Thanks, Seth! And thanks for the link to further info. I read about the Author Bootcamp programs, so I will be checking into that as well.

  2. Sedsgeogs Says:

    I really enjoyed reading your post, keep up writing such interesting stuff.

  3. claissagits Says:

    Excellent post, good looking website, added it to my favorites.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: